After more than half century of being used as a residential and business building, and then as offices by the Gerling Group, Spiesergasse 20 has now been converted and revitalized by ksg. Spiesergasse 20 is located in the immediate vicinity of the Gerling premises. This town house was constructed as a corner building in the Cologne city center by the engineer, Winand Müller in 1955. The Gerling Group then used it as a residential and business building and later as a location for offices. The building has now been converted and revitalized by ksg, with work being sponsored by a private investor.
Building Owner: A & B Solo Grundstücks- und Vermögensverwaltungs GmbH, Gummersbach
To maintain and gently transform the existing character and atmosphere of the 1960s architecture of the building, the architects integrated all new fittings and modifications into the existing architecture of the structure. In the course of conversion work, nearly all dividing walls on the levels were removed. The resultant four loft levels and the attic level can now be used as representative, spacious office area which can be organized flexibly.
Each level was equipped with multi-functional built-in furniture at room height which covers the entire length of the floor plans and which forms the backbone of the new structure. This includes media technology, spacious storage areas and access to the stairwell as well as access to the pantry and toilets.
The former Gerling building also has a new external appearance: frameless window elements accentuate the quality of the existing natural stone facade on account of their minimalist, unobtrusive design.