Around 100 years after the opening of the Rhine harbour a new city quarter has been created on the site of the former pulsating reloading docks. Buildings of historic interest are an important part of the harbour, as is the silo situated in the southern area. With its prominent pyramidal tower head the slim, former granary stands out and along with the adjacent “Siebengebirge” it forms an impressive silhouette against the Rhine.
Building Owner: Silo –
Rheinauhafen Köln GmbH & Co. KG
The main difficulty of the conversion has been the existing design of the granary built in 1938-39. The almost windowless tower-like granary had silo funnels running through at full height. For this reason, kister scheithauer gross decided on the complete gutting of the building. The concrete funnels have only been retained as a design feature in the restaurant area on the ground floor. Twelve flexibly multi-purpose office floors have been introduced into the gutted structure of the building. As new elements, large window openings have been cut into the red rendered envelope of the building. The conical, precast concrete elements intertwine the individual window parts into a graphic grid pattern. The so-called bay window acts as a double facade with protective function: it is noise protection facing the street and protection from the fresh breeze along the waterfront of the river Rhine.